This project is read-only.

samples

May 16, 2011 at 1:47 AM
Edited May 16, 2011 at 1:50 AM

I would love to get my hands on a working sample site which shows the Cartography in action on the Default Recipe which is the Theme Machine if possible. What are the chances?

May 16, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Hi Beanpole,

Not quite sure if you're asking for just a live website showing the features, or a full web package including orchard that you can run yourself?

I'll be adding some of the features to my Downplay website hopefully today (I meant to do this last week but got caught up making a whole load of improvements to the UI scenarios, this should be available later).

Further down the line I want to set up a full demo "sandbox" site where you can log in and experiment with all the features.

Right now, Cartography isn't at this point quite production-ready - it's primarily intended as an API example or a "jumping-off" point so you can see how to build stuff from connectors. Although having said that, it should be a really decent menu feature once these next batch of changes are done :)

May 17, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Hi randompete,

I would like an example of how to create a multi leveled hierarchy and then render it so that I can do it myself.

I am interested in producing a system that would be good enough to give to an end user.

So, a zip of a orchard folder created with the default recipe plus your Cartography module and an the site using that module to do a menu with 3 levels for example. The zip would include everything the running site has including the app_data and bin folder.

Or just another folder in your source code with the whats needed to add to a default orchard install including the app_data

That would be tops.

May 17, 2011 at 5:25 AM

BTW, someone else just added a question to the orchard project that a sample project would help.

May 17, 2011 at 6:03 AM

This is what I am after

http://orchardsamplesite.codeplex.com/

May 17, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I'm thinking that rather than redistribute an entire Orchard instance (which will result in a certain amount of extra maintenance as these features are still evolving somewhat), I could do something slightly better with the Recipes feature. Not sure if you're familiar with it, but it's an xml system where you can define whichever modules to download and install from the gallery, and additional commands that can be run to do things like populate site data. So I can provide a sample recipe for each Theory project; you can either choose this recipe when you're setting up Orchard, or run it on an already-installed Orchard instance, so it actually has slightly more flexibility than distributing the entire sample Orchard site. Of course if someone else wanted to maintain a complete sample site as well, that'd also be good. I just have to be careful about how much extra work I give myself, I've got quite a lot to do as it is :)

May 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM

A sample recipe for each Theory sounds perfect.

I completely understand your point about the workload as well

My aim is to get to the point where I am comfortable with my understanding to contribute code back to the community.

If I can rebuild the 4 sites that I maintain right now then I will have an understanding that will be worth contributing.

So don't kill yourself and know that your idea about a recipe would be greatly appreciated. It sounds perfect.

May 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM

There's now a release of Cartography on the Orchard Gallery which is 100% working and I've updated the documentation describing steps to use it. I've got a lot of other features to work on, as well as getting back onto Media Garden, so unfortunately recipes and more detailed documentation will still have to wait!