Various problems with Connectors and Plumbing

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Hi!

I tried to build some hierarchical pages with the Mechanics module. I have two problems:

  1. When editing a previously saved item that has the Socket part the previously saved item (that has the same type we're editing) on the other side of the connector is not selected. That means, the other item has to be selected again, not to loose the connection.
  2. When Plumbing is enabled and Pipe Route is attached with the settings everything unchecked then in the route of a subpage (i.e. a page that has another page connected) the slug of the parent is not prepended (although I think this should happen?). "Home / root item" is unchecked. It doesn't matter if a reverse connector is specified or not.

Are these bugs or by design?

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Perhaps your Connector items have been made Draftable? Unfortunately, Versioning support isn't finished yet (I got 95% of the way, but it starts getting really tricky properly handling versioning for multiple related items!)

By the way, which version are you using of everything? The latest from the codeplex site has a ton of bugs fixed, the Gallery version is very out of date now.

To get parent routes to prepend, you need to add Drill Route to the connector content type. This lets the system knows that it can "drill down" on that connector to form a child route.

Quick explanation of Pipe Route settings:

- "Root Route" - this states whether the item should have a top-level route, so if it's unchecked then the item should only get a route via Drill paths.

- "Base Route" - this states whether the item should have a base url applied (e.g. in /videos/terminator the Base Route is "videos", if you uncheck Base Route then it'll just be /terminator)

So, Pipe Route just describes the local route for that content item, nothing explicitly to do with its relationship to other routes. When Drill Route exists on a connector, it'll start building nested urls.

What this means: your Pipe Route is set up correctly. You need to add Drill Route to your PageChild connector (or whatever you've called it). Then, nothing will work unless you set one item as the home page; this will form the root route and everything else should be nested under that, based on the PageChild relationships.

Note: I haven't tested the exact scenario as above, I'm doing similar things, but if there are problems give me a shout and I'll test it over here. Are you setting you content types up in the UI or from a Migration? I've been finding it best to generate all the Content Types in migrations because you have more control over their behaviour (and it makes it easy to replicate the changes to a live server).

Pete

From: Piedone [email removed]
Sent: 01 November 2011 21:29
To: pete@downplay.co.uk
Subject: Various problems with Connectors and Plumbing [scienceproject:277956]

From: Piedone

Hi!

I tried to build some hierarchical pages with the Mechanics module. I have two problems:

1. When editing a previously saved item that has the Socket part the previously saved item (that has the same type we're editing) on the other side of the connector is not selected. That means, the other item has to be selected again, not to loose the connection.

2. When Plumbing is enabled and Pipe Route is attached with the settings everything unchecked then in the route of a subpage (i.e. a page that has another page connected) the slug of the parent is not prepended (although I think this should happen?). "Home / root item" is unchecked. It doesn't matter if a reverse connector is specified or not.

Are these bugs or by design?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Thanks for the detailed clarification. I used the version available at the gallery and with content types clicked together from the admin UI, so these could  well be causes of the issues.

I'll try with the latest source and with the advices you mentioned.

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Yes, I really need to update the gallery. The problem is I'm still regularly making small changes and it's a real pain to update half a dozen modules on the gallery (actually, over twice that, as I need to update all of Media Garden as well!) But now things are relatively stable it might be an idea to update them; or, I'm considering retiring them from the gallery until I hit version 1.0 (which means versioning properly working and some refactoring for performance and rendering improvements)