Science Project: Release

Coordinator
May 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Today I've merged a huge batch of updates into the default branch and released a number of Science Project modules on the Orchard Gallery. These are:

• Mechanics 0.9.9 - including a whole new compositional UI system, allowing you to edit connector parts directly from the parent item; and introducing Plumbing which is a new routing system that takes advantage of connectors to produce nested URLs, and will be a lot more customizable than the default routing (for instance using base URLs for content types, which a lot of people have asked for)
  • Origami 0.8.0 - low-level shape folding and UI composition API, introducing ModelDriver<T> which works like ContentPartDriver but can be used for any kind of model; Origami is used for the connectors UI that Mechanics builds
  • Quanta 0.7.5 - the per-item and group-based permissions system is now fully working and much easier to use; also including Signalling which used to be the separate Content Notifications module
  • Theory: Cartography 0.9.1 - construct a hierarchical menu via Mechanics and Paperclips... this very nicely shows off the advanced possibilities that Science Project enables!

I'm worn out after all that! But this was a crucial point for Science Project to get to, as we now have working, usable, and very much sought-after functionality.

There's still a lot more to do. What I could really use some help with is:

• Styling of admin UI
  • Icons for each module/feature and also some smaller icons for things like edit links (which are being generated by the Impulses feature of Mechanics)
  • Documentation

If anybody wants to get involved to help with the above please get in touch!

Coordinator
May 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM
  • Mechanics 0.9.91 - just a small release, you can now edit the Sequence part on connector editors, useful for changing the order of menu items from the Site edit page